Study in Canada without IELTS
Do you want to study abroad in Canada without taking the IELTS exam? Do you find it difficult to take language competence examinations such as the IELTS exam? If you want to study in Canada without IELTS, you've come to the perfect location. In this post, we will look at some of the best Canadian universities that accept international students who do not have IELTS scores.
Indians are natively non English speakers due to this several students find it challenging to pass language competence exams. These exams can be expensive, and repeating them several times can be highly annoying. Even though IELTS scores are required for entry into academic programmes at the majority of English-speaking Canadian schools, it is still possible to enrol in select Canadian universities without the IELTS exam.
What is the IELTS exam?
Universities employ the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), a worldwide standardised language examination, to evaluate the language proficiency of prospective foreign students. There are four components in this test: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Students will receive an overall score for each of their essential English language skills after completing the three-hour test. Exams like this one are used in English-speaking countries like Canada to evaluate your language skills.
What are the alternatives to the IELTS exam?
Students who wish to study in Canada without IELTS have 3 major options which are described briefly below-
- Obtaining a English Proficiency Certificate
- Enrolling in an English Language Program for Higher education in Canada
- Applying to universities in Canada without IELTS
Continue reading this post for more detailed information.
1. English Proficiency Certificate
If you have any prior English education experience. You can get this certificate from your prior institution and submit it with your study permit application as proof that you have met the document's English requirements.
This certificate will be sufficient to satisfy the English language requirements and assist you in obtaining a Canada Visa without the IELTS exam.
2. The ESL Program for English Education
You can sign up for the ESL programme even if you don't have any English proficiency results from tests like the TOEFL or IELTS. The main advantage of this 6-month programme for learning English is that you may work on it concurrently with your course.
2.1 Alternative English proficiency tests to study in Canada without IELTS:
Students who don’t wish to appear for the IELTS exam can appear in any of the following examination and after meeting approved criteria (varies by universities), are eligible for application-
- CAEL Assessment- The CAEL test stands for Canadian Academic English Language Test.The scores are valid for a term of 2 years and are accepted by all major Canadian Universities.
- TOEFL- It is a widely accepted test among top universities across the globe. TOEFL expands as a Test of English as Foreign Language. For Canadian Universities, a TOEFL score of 80-100 is considered to be acceptable.
- Duolingo English Test- The DET is an economical alternative to the IELTS and comes in handy where multiple attempts are required. More than 150 Institutions of higher education in Canada accept the DET scores for application purposes.
- PTE- The PTE exam is the Pearson Test of English and is a reputed exam that is well acknowledged by Colleges of Canada. A score between 55 to 65 is enough to get you entry through the doors of your dream institution.
- CanTest- The CanTEST is a regulated English proficiency exam that is used to appraise if you can satisfy either the fluency standards of Canadian professional societies or the entry requirements of post-secondary universities across Canada.
3. Apply to Universities in Canada without IELTS scores
The last alternative is not very popular but most people don't know that there are many reputed Universities in Canada without IELTS. You can select from the following prestigious institutions and colleges to study in Canada without taking the IELTS exam:
- University of Winnipeg- Candidates without IELTS scores can still be admitted to the University of Winnipeg. You must successfully finish the university's own English Language Program (ELP) with the required grade. Before being admitted or starting the course, students can apply for this programme in both part-time and full-time alternatives.
- Brock University- Brock University is a well-known college that you might think about attending if you want to study in Canada without taking the IELTS test. For students who are unable to submit English language competence results, the institution provides the Intensive English Language Program (IELP). You are also excluded from the English proficiency score criteria if you have finished a degree programme that was taught in English.
- University of Saskatchewan- Every year, students from all around the world are admitted to this public institution. Admission to its programmes does not need passing the IELTS exam. However, students must demonstrate their proficiency in the English language by presenting either as the Credentials of High School and Post Secondary Studies or by finishing an ELP programme that has been approved.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador- With over 300 study options, this university is among the strongest in Canada. This institution provides a wide variety of programs in subjects including engineering, computer science, engineering, international business, and more. Well over 18,000 learners from various countries are enrolled at the university. Candidates who don't get the required proficiency exam scores can enrol in the university's St. John's or Grenfell campuses' intensive English programmes.
- Cambrian University- Cambrian College will assess students' English proficiency by not declaring the IELTS necessary, and those who do not meet the English language criterion will need to take additional English courses before starting their regular programme of study.
- Concordia University- Students who want to attend Concordia University for higher study are not needed to submit their IELTS test results. However, because English is the primary language of teaching, students must provide transcripts proving they have successfully completed at least 3 consecutive years of undergrad or graduate study at a recognised institution.
|Other Notable institutions include:
|University of Guelph
Documents Required for Canada Study Permit without IELTS
For the successful acceptance of their study permit in Canada, students who plan to study in Canada without IELTS must submit a number of documents:
- English Proficiency Proof- As mentioned above students who opt not to take the IELTS exam can either provide scores of other Language Assessment Tests or proof that they are enrolled in the English course approved by their university.
- Identity Proof- When applying for Canada Study permit, a valid passport, official travel documentation and 2 passport sized photographs are required.
- Financial Transcripts- Documents that verify stable financial conditions to study and support yourself are demanded. This includes statements by the Bank, education loan documents and alike.
- University Acceptance Letter
- Proof of previous education
If you wish to pursue your higher education in Canada without IELTS, reach out to Superb Study Abroad. We are here 24 by 7 to help you with all your queries and to assist you in the best ways possible. Our dedicated team will guide you to select the best colleges, compare fee structures, applying for visa and many more procedures, so that your experience becomes smooth and hassle free.